Rome Art Walking Tour and Aperitivo around the Pantheon – An Afternoon with Caravaggio & Raphael
An expert guide will accompany you on a unique Roman art walking tour spanning from Piazza del Popolo to the Pantheon – covering some of the best places to visit in Rome.
We will follow in the footsteps of the most influential and prolific painters of the Renaissance - Raphael Sanzio, and one of the most rebellious artists in Italian history - Caravaggio, who revolutionized Renaissance painting. We will discover the works of these great masters in some of the most beautiful churches in the historic center.
This Rome art walking tour concludes with an aperitivo of typical Roman tastings at a local restaurant in the Pantheon area.
- The Rome tour begins at Piazza del Popolo, in front of Santa Maria del Popolo that holds two extraordinary works of art by Caravaggio (Crucifixion of St. Peter and Conversion on the Way to Damascus) and is topped by a magnificent dome designed and frescoed by Raphael.
- We continue our exploration of the historic center in the Campo Marzio district, along Via Ripetta, where Caravaggio famously drew his inspiration from the large number of prostitutes who inhabited the street. From here, we head to the beautiful church of Santa Maria della Pace, taking in Raphael’s fresco of Sybil’s dance and the majestic angels that adorn the ceiling.
- Then we move on to the Sant’Agostino Church to enjoy a painting and a fresco by our two protagonists before moving on to the church of San Luigi dei Francesi, where the trilogy dedicated to San Matteo is kept (some of the most mysterious and intense paintings ever created by Caravaggio). The artist himself had an indomitable character and non-conformist tendencies that bought him a life of persecution and an early and tragic death.
- The last attraction on our tour will be the Pantheon, its unique structure establishing it as one of the most impressive architectural features of the city. It was the first pagan temple to be converted to Christianity and today is home to the tombs of the first two kings of Italy, placed here after the unification in 1861. Between them we also find the tomb of Raphael, whose work became the model of perfection in Renaissance painting, earning him a place in one of the most famous attractions of the city.
- Our Rome art walking tour ends with a traditional aperitivo (glass of wine and Italian snacks) where you can taste the local products and discuss the works of Caravaggio and other Baroque artists at a local wine bar near the Pantheon area.
- Internal visit to the Pantheon/Churches
- Expert guide
- Maximum 25 per group
what's not included
- Pick up and drop off
- Gratuities (optional)
The tour begins at Piazza del Popolo, in front of Santa Maria del Popolo, outside the FLAMINIO Metro Station (Line A) next to the flower stand. Please arrive 25 minutes before the start of your tour to check-in with a member of our staff.
Please note – the meeting point is outside of our office. And for security reasons, we are not able to store any personal belongings at our office - so please plan accordingly.
The tour ends at a local restaurant in the Pantheon area.
Cover your knees and shoulders since we will be visiting churches. And wear comfortable shoes!
Please let us know in advance if you have any food allergies or food dislikes!
If you or any member of your party has difficulty with mobility (uses crutches or a wheelchair, etc.), please contact us in advance. This tour is not wheelchair accessible.
Private tours are available to meet these needs, on request.
Free cancellation if you call within 48 hours of your tour.