Essential Rome Sightseeing Walking Tour with Aperitivo – St. Peter’s Basilica, Castel Sant’Angelo, Piazza Navona, Pantheon, Campo de' Fiori
Our expert guide accompanies you on this sightseeing walking tour to the most beautiful and picturesque sites and squares of the city. Essential to your visit to Rome. The tour begins with a visit to St. Peter’s Basilica and continues to the fortress of Castel Sant’Angelo, crossing the majestic Sant’Angelo Bridge. We explore the historical center via the magnificent fountains in Piazza Navona before reaching the Pantheon, finishing our walk with a traditional Italian aperitivo in one of the most fascinating areas of Rome- Campo de’ Fiori - a square loved by locals and bursting with cafés, street artists and live music.
- This essential walking tour will inspire you as you explore some of the best things to do in Rome. Our sightseeing journey begins near the Vatican with a tour of the splendid St. Peter’s Basilica - the largest and most prestigious Catholic church in the world. You will discover how its structure and appearance changed over the centuries, owing its current beauty to the work of some of the world’s greatest artists including Michelangelo and Bramante. You will have time to absorb its lavish interior, adorned by enormous mosaics and some of the most famous masterpieces in the art world.
- The Rome walking tour continues to Castel Sant’Angelo, built originally in the Roman era but successively converted into a Papal prison in the 14th century, becoming a place of political intrigue and capital punishment. Walking over the Bridge of Castel Sant’Angelo, we stop to admire the impressive marble sculptures that adorn the bridge’s walls, eventually making our way to Piazza Navona, to learn of its curious past and see Bernini’s notorious fountain which lies at its center.
- Our route through Rome continues to the Pantheon whose famous perforated dome still remains the largest and most significant one ever built.
- Traveling through the characteristically narrow Roman streets, we walk towards Campo de’ Fiori, a square much loved by the city’s inhabitants for its charming atmosphere, live music and historical importance. This square also comes with a colorful past, which our guides will enthusiastically share with you. Fascinating stories and secrets that are sure to entertain you.
- Our tour would not be complete without experiencing a traditional aperitivo (a glass of wine and Italian snacks) in a quaint local spot in the Campo de’ Fiori area.
- Skip the line with our Priority Access
- Internal visits of St. Peter’s Basilica and the Pantheon
- Expert tour guide
- Maximum 25 per group
what's not included
- Pick up and drop off
- Gratuities (optional)
Your meeting point is at the Mondo Cattolico Shop in Piazza Pio XII, near the Vatican. Please arrive 25 minutes before the start of your tour to check-in with a member of our staff.
Please note – the meeting point is outside of our office. And for security reasons, we are not able to store any personal belongings at our office - so please plan accordingly.
The end of the tour will conclude in a local restaurant near Campo de’ Fiori - a square much loved by the city’s inhabitants for its charming atmosphere, live music and historical importance.
St. Peter’s Basilica maintains a strict dress code year-round. All visitors must have their shoulders covered and pants/skirts must come to the knee. And be sure to wear comfortable shoes!
St. Peter’s Basilica has strict security restrictions. Due to metal detectors at the entrances of most attractions (and no bag check) it is forbidden to bring the following:
- Weapons and blunt objects (knives, long umbrellas, etc.)
- Glass bottles, aerosol sprays, and alcohol
- Bicycles, skates, and segways
- Luggage or large bags
Strollers are permitted
Please let us know in advance if you have any food allergies or food dislikes!
If you or any member of your party has difficulty with mobility (uses crutches or a wheelchair, etc.), please contact us in advance. This tour is not wheelchair accessible.
Private tours are available to meet these needs, on request.
Free cancellation if you call within 48 hours of your tour.